cellSuite

for the latest mobile market news from Japan come to cellsuite.jp

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Live earth cell phone application



About a month and a half ago I went to a small exhibition and seminar called 'mobile land' here in Tokyo as the company I am currently doing work for had a stand and were doing a presentation there.

On the train going there I got chatting ( doing my best in my broken Japanese ) to a guy who used to program apps on the cell phones over here. He showed me the application he had built last and I was quite impressed, it featured a cool dynamic animated globe with calendar and date functions and the animation ran really well on the something-I-can't-remember-exactly-901iC phone.

It wasn't until about 10 minutes ago when I was cruising the internet that I saw the application again. It is the main attraction in the 'live earth' project, a new global environmental awareness drive by AU ( a popular network in Japan ).

Here is the google-translated link to the projects home page

The charitable initiative donates a portion of the money generated by the subscription charges to the service. It is so easy to subscribe to services using your phone and now that they have something worthwhile to download, the spinning earth thing is pretty darn cool, I am sure they will get loads of hits.

This is the first, real charitable drive I have seen aimed solely at the cell phone user I wonder if it will be a success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama
Blog universe
Look Seek
ooBdoo